Mar 03, 2021
Gemini UK Report: Crypto Investors Are More Diverse as Interest Grows
The typical cryptocurrency investor profile has traditionally been young, single males with above average income who are highly educated. However, survey data from our State of UK Crypto Report shows that this profile is changing and becoming increasingly diverse across gender, income, and education, challenging long-held stereotypes.
Our report outlines that as crypto and bitcoin quickly become household names, our industry is evolving, expanding, and becoming more inclusive.
Conducted in the second half of 2020 and published in January of this year, the State of UK Crypto report shows that 13.5% of respondents are current or former crypto owners, a 152% increase from the 5.35% reported by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority in 2019.
Other notable results from the UK survey include:
- Gender: 41.6% of current and former crypto investors are women — and women also constitute 40% of those who are planning to invest in crypto
- Age: 33.1% of current and former crypto investors are between the ages of 25-34, 27.5% are between 18-24, and 24.2% are in the 35-44 age range
- Income: 91.8% of current and former crypto investors have a household income under £100,000
- Relationships: 56.9% of crypto investors are married, in a civil partnership, or live with a partner
- Education: 50.1% of current and former crypto investors have no university or advanced degree
Our data shows glimpses of how crypto’s reach is continuing to broaden beyond the early-adopter audience. The results further remind us that there is huge potential for the industry to educate investors, with 38.7% of respondents saying they either do not know anything at all about crypto, or do not know enough to invest.
Momentum is growing in the crypto industry across the globe and all walks of life, with consumer interest supported by the proliferation of easy, safe, and secure platforms on which to invest. These long term trends further point to a sustainable future for crypto as part of any balanced investment strategy.
At Gemini, we seek to empower individuals through crypto. Our UK State of Crypto Report shows interest is growing among a more diverse group of investors as the opportunity to build wealth with crypto is becoming increasingly clear. We invite you to open an account with us to begin your crypto journey.
Onward and Upward!