Jun 15, 2020
Black Lives Matter
Over the past few weeks, we’ve had powerful conversations with our Black colleagues at Gemini about their experiences. We heard first-hand accounts detailing the discrimination they grew up with, the fears they live with, and the exhaustion they carry. Considering this, we wanted to reexamine the commitments we've made at Gemini and to the global crypto community.
We must acknowledge that the Black experience in America is marred by racism, inequity, and brutality. The senseless killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and Rayshard Brooks are unfortunately just four of the countless examples that reinforce the collective trauma and fear that Black people experience on a daily basis. America promises to provide a free and just society for all its citizens; however, America has — in practice and in fact — systematically breached this social contract with the Black community for hundreds of years.
At Gemini, we’re making the following affirmations:
- Black Lives Matter.
- Black lives have been disproportionately impacted by systemic racism and injustice in America.
- Speaking out against anti-blackness is not a political issue — it’s a humanitarian one.
- It’s time to reform systems that discriminate against Black lives.
- We stand with the Black community today and forever.
We’ll express these affirmations clearly through the following actions:
- Gemini is committed to hiring a full-time person to lead our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) strategy. Systemic issues like anti-blackness and racism require both immediate and long-term action — our DEI strategy will directly address both.
- Gemini is committed to providing direct economic support to organizations focused on education, economic, and social justice reform for the Black community. To that end, Gemini will be donating $250K to organizations recommended by, voted on, and chosen by our employees.
- Gemini has instituted an annual gift-matching program of up to $1K per employee, per year, to support organizations they choose.
- Gemini will designate Juneteenth (June 19th) as an official company holiday.
This is a complex, centuries-old issue and we recognize that the road to change will not be quick or easy. But that has never stopped Gemini before.
Crypto has the power to offer greater choice, independence, and opportunity. To ensure that everyone has a chance to participate in this promise, we will need to build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure and that also incorporate the diverse and inclusive perspectives of individuals with backgrounds that reflect the world we aim to empower.
Onward and Upward,
Cameron + Tyler